Rijkaard Made Me Play When I Was Unfit - Henry

Thierry Henry has revealed that Frank Rijkaard made him play for Barcelona even when he was not fit, but is now ready to show what he is really capable of of.The French international was criticised in his first term at Camp Nou for failing to reproduce the form and flair that made him a star with Arsenal, but now he has explained why.
After spending a campaign struggling with injuries the year before, Henry joined Barça last summer and was not completely fit although Rijkaard still wanted him to play.
"It was a mistake to play last season without being fit, but the coach asked me to," he told El Periodico. class="fullpost">
"What am I going to say to him, that I would not do it? Now I can start to run and I have the strength to face defenders. Before it was very tough and I could not do it."
There were glimpses of Henry's form last term when Barça played to his strengths, but he took time to adapt to playing out wide and fitting in to Rijkaard's system of patient build-up.
This season, new coach Pep Guardiola has already told the former Monaco and Juventus player that he is one of his key players and that the team will try to use his pace and finishing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 
© Copyright 2010 Football Lovers